Friday, April 11, 2014

The Whale Shark

Swimming with a whale shark is just one amazing adventure 
that can be had at the Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia.
We did this as a family on our recent trip to Exmouth, far north WA,
and it's an experience that my kids will always remember!


Deep out in the ocean
in waters clear and warm
swims a gentle giant
large and grey in form

Bigger than a bus
w i d e r  than a whale
three ridges on his side
lead to a pointed tail

Moving oh so smoothly
mouth open wide to feed
he swims about the water
gathering plankton that he needs

Rows and rows of tiny teeth
fill up his gaping smile
but they’re not used for eating-
just elements of style

Filter feeding on small things-
krill and red crab larvae
tummy full, he turns and winks
Would you like to play now?

I’ll lead you through the water
Swim with me in the sea
The vast blue of the ocean
is where I love to be!

I smile because I’m happy
I swim because I’m free
People come a long, long way
to snorkel next to me

And so I swim beside him
admiring all his spots
arranged in special patterns-
a giant dot-to-dot

His size makes me feel tiny
His girth makes me feel small
This friendly gentle giant

The most magnificent fish of all!

PS. While on our whale shark dive, we were lucky enough to meet Jana, 
one of the founders of the Hearts for Sharks foundation 
that aims to raise awareness of the true nature of sharks and their conservation. 
Click here to read all about this awesome cause.